Tag Archives: entertainment

United Nations fails to break Syria talks deadlock

United Nations fails to break Syria talks deadlock (AFP) / 29 January 2014 Opposition says UN mediator Lakhdar Brahimi had adjourned the meeting because the regime is not cooperating on any subject. The UN failed to break a deadlock at Syrian peace talks in Geneva on Tuesday, with negotiations interrupted after President Bashar Al Assad’s regime pushed for a statement condemning the United States. After announcing the start of a fourth day of talks with a morning session around 11am (1000 GMT), the UN said in a terse statement later that “no meeting has been planned for this afternoon”. A member of the opposition negotiating team, Rima Fleihan, said that UN mediator Lakhdar Brahimi had adjourned the meeting “because the regime is not cooperating on any subject, not on humanitarian issues and not on a transitional governing body.” She said the opposition had presented a preliminary transition plan laying out its “vision” for Syria, but the regime refused to engage in talks. “We have a vision, unfortunately the regime presented nothing and refused all discussion,” Fleihan said, adding that the next session was planned for Wednesday morning. Tuesday morning’s session saw regime delegates present a statement condemning Washington, which it wanted adopted by participants. The statement said “the United States has made a decision to resume arming terrorist groups in Syria.” “This decision can only be understood as a direct attempt to obstruct any political solution in Syria through dialogue,” it said. It follows a report from the Reuters news agency that the US Congress secretly approved funding for weapons deliveries to “moderate” Syrian rebel factions. Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Muqdad said that showed Washington “is not interested in the success” of the peace process. He accused the opposition of obstructing talks by refusing to adopt the regime statement. “The other party said they don’t agree… and that they support the United States’ steps to arm terrorist groups,” he said. Delegates from the regime and the opposition National Coalition have been brought together in the biggest diplomatic push yet to end a civil war that has left more than 130,000 dead and forced millions from their homes. The talks hit an impasse on Monday when discussions started on political issues, including the transfer of power to a transitional government. Brahimi had said Tuesday’s talks would focus on the Geneva communique, the text agreed by world powers in 2012 that calls for the creation of a transitional governing body in Syria. He said he also hoped for concrete steps on humanitarian aid, especially for besieged and starving families in rebel-held areas in the central city of Homs. Brahimi admitted on Monday that the talks so far “haven’t produced much”, but said just getting the two sides to sit in the same room was a step forward. Expectations are low for a breakthrough, especially after the two sides failed to agree on even the basic principles of political talks on Monday. Despite their frustration, each side vowed it would not be the first to walk away from the talks, which are expected to last until Friday. In the only tangible promise to emerge from the meetings so far, Brahimi said on Sunday the regime had agreed to allow women and children safe passage from besieged rebel-held areas of Homs. But there has been no movement since, on either an evacuation or opposition demands that aid convoys be allowed in the areas. The Old City of Homs has been under siege since June 2012 after rebels there rose against the regime, with an estimated 500 families living with near-daily shelling and the barest of supplies. UN bodies and the International Committee of the Red Cross have said they are on standby with aid but are waiting for approval to move in. Activists in Homs on Tuesday urged opposition figures at the talks to push for the lifting of the 600-day siege. “We need the siege lifted and to ensure that residents can enter and exit through safe corridors, without passing through regime checkpoints,” the activists said in a statement. Should the siege remain in place, “all solutions will be futile, and will do nothing to end this tragedy,” they said. For more news from Khaleej Times, follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/khaleejtimes , and on Twitter at @khaleejtimes Continue reading

Posted on by tsiadmin | Posted in Dubai, Education, Entertainment, Investment, investments, News, Property, Sports, Taylor Scott International, TSI, Uk | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on United Nations fails to break Syria talks deadlock

Sharjah Light Festival to use latest technology

Sharjah Light Festival to use latest technology Lily B. Libo-on / 29 January 2014 Nine-day Sharjah Light Festival will run from February 6 to 12 in 12 locations across the emirate. The beauty of Sharjah’s architectural grandeur, monuments and heritage will again be in the limelight — literally — at the nine-day Sharjah Light Festival (SLF), which will run from February 6 to 12 in 12 locations across the emirate. For nine nights, from 7pm to 11pm on weekdays and until midnight on weekends, Sharjah’s popular landmarks and tourist sites will be seen in a new light with specially designed shows using latest techniques in lighting, graphics and 3-D technology. It will be an experience that will take the spectators to a magical world of fantasy and creativity. Mohammed Ali Al Noman with SCTDA director-general Khalid Jasim Al Midfa during a Press conference to announce the festival at Al Majaz Water Front. — KT photo by M. Sajjad Organised by the Sharjah Commerce and Tourism Development Authority (SCTDA) for the fourth time, the Sharjah Light Festival will be celebrated this year under the theme ‘Sharjah, the Capital of Islamic Culture for 2014’.  It is again held under the vision and leadership of His Highness Dr Shaikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Supreme Council member and ruler of Sharjah. Mohammed Ali Al Noman, Chairman, SCTDA, said the fourth edition of the SLF will bring a richer and greater experience in presentations and designs. “SLF will start with an opening ceremony at the Sharjah Municipality’s grand new building that celebrates the best of Islamic architecture and heritage.” In a press conference on Monday night, Al Noman said the event features highly talented international artists and performers who use the magic of lighting and cutting-edge technology to narrate the story of Sharjah’s heritage and architecture. The first and largest of its kind in the Middle East, SLF is a landmark global event highlighting Emirati, Arabic and Islamic culture. Its new site in Dibba Al Hisn joins the SLF festivities along with Khorfakkan and Kalba on the East Coast in a symphony of lights, colours and melodious motifs. “Every year we have been trying to add new locations to SLF celebrations in order to cover the length and breadth of the emirate,” Al Noman said. A spectacular hour-long parade will start at the Flag Island, cover the expanse of Khalid Lagoon before heading to the Central Souq. It will be followed by another hour of an entertainment fiesta with popular fictional characters, which will transport visitors to a world of art, fantasy and humour. SLF 2014 sites include Sharjah Municipality, Kuwait Square, Cultural Palace Square, King Faisal Mosque, Al Majaz Mosque, Al Majaz Waterfront, Central Souk, Al Qasba (Internal facade), Dr Shaikh Sultan Al Qasimi Centre of Gulf Studies, Hamza bin Abdul Mottaleb Mosque in Kalba, and Omar bin Al Khattab Mosque in Khorfakkan. The aesthetic beauty of centuries-old Islamic calligraphy, poetry, maps and art, and intricate decorated plants and flowers will be celebrated at the festival, in order to bring out the finer detail of Sharjah’s majestic monuments and fine architecture, he added. Since its debut, the Sharjah Light Festival has been a grand success, attracting tens of thousands of families and visitors year after year. With the addition of new sites and several new features and presentations, this year promises to be even more special. lily@khaleejtimes.com For more news from Khaleej Times, follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/khaleejtimes , and on Twitter at @khaleejtimes Continue reading

Posted on by tsiadmin | Posted in Dubai, Education, Entertainment, Investment, investments, News, Property, Shows, Sports, Taylor Scott International, TSI, Uk | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Sharjah Light Festival to use latest technology

Chopper drones with cams may pose threat to privacy

Chopper drones with cams may pose threat to privacy Staff Reporter / 29 January 2014 The Ministry of Interior is concerned about its use and the Consumer Protection Department will investigate sales of these machines at some shops in the country. It may be a sport for some, a professional tool for photography experts, but the miniature RC (radio-controlled) quadcopter can be a threat to privacy if fitted with a camera. The Ministry of Interior is concerned about its use and the Consumer Protection Department will investigate sales of these machines at some shops in the country. The Arabic daily Al Roeya reported that the ministry convened a meeting with the bodies concerned in order to set down regulations for selling and trading in such drones fitted with cameras that could be controlled by remote control through a cordless joystick or a smart phone. The Ministry of Economy confirmed that its inspection and control squads embarked on their visits to shops and markets that deal in such kind of quadcopters to stop their sale. Al Roeya quoted Lt-General Saif Abdullah Al Shafaar, Undersecretary of Ministry of Interior, as saying that these pilotless rotorcrafts, which are sometimes fitted with a high definition camera, are sold without any constraints in the US and Europe, and are promoted online as well. Al Shafaar affirmed that the Federal Aviation Authority is the body concerned in this regard. He called upon all concerned parties and security authorities to hold a meeting to lay down regulations on this issue. Al Shafaar went on to say that police could intervene and take action if it received complaints from citizens and residents. Meanwhile, Director of the Consumer Protection Department, Ministry of Economy Dr Hashim Al Nuaimi warned the community members against the hazards of using copters that carry an HD camera which could be guided and controlled from remote distance. He pointed out that the Consumer Protection Department has planned to dispatch its inspection teams to shops and markets famous for selling these RC drones in order to stave off selling them to the public due to the negative effects these drones have because of the HD camera they are fitted with. Radio-controlled four rotor copters using high definition (HD) camera can click pictures during the time it’s in the air The RC quadcopter can fly for a period of 25 minutes and a distance of one kilometre at an altitude of 300 metres. The most shocking thing is that this kind of RC chopper was found being sold at a shopping mall in Dubai. They can be used by amateurs in a rational way by taking photos from high altitudes, and can be flown at desert, open areas, and sea. However, some others might use such adult toys in an immoral manner, which has become a hobby for those intruders to infringe people decency and privacy. There are two kinds of RC quadrotor helicopters. The first one is unprofessional and is sold for Dh4,800 and can fly for 15 minutes covering a distance of 700 metres. The second one is a professional one which costs as much as Dh8,000. The latter can fly a distance of a kilometre for a period of 25 minutes. The RC quadcopter has Global Positioning System (GPS), which makes it easy to call the chopper home automatically when the battery runs out. A user can programme and preset the flight course back and forth in certain directions, and sets the HD camera either in photo or video modes. It can transmit photos and videos to a user’s smart phone. An RC chopper owner Mohamed said he uses his copter everywhere to record horse races, car race and for other sports. — news@khaleejtimes.com For more news from Khaleej Times, follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/khaleejtimes , and on Twitter at @khaleejtimes Continue reading

Posted on by tsiadmin | Posted in Dubai, Education, Entertainment, Investment, investments, News, Property, Sports, Taylor Scott International, TSI, Uk | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Chopper drones with cams may pose threat to privacy