Sports

Egypt announces early election a day after carnage

Egypt announces early election a day after carnage (AFP) / 27 January 2014 Sisi was expected to declare his candidacy for the election, scheduled before mid-April, after a show of support including Saturday’s large rally in Cairo’s Tahrir Square. Egypt on Sunday announced early presidential elections likely to anoint the general who overthrew president Mohammed Mursi, as the country reeled from a weekend of violence that killed dozens of people. Interim president Adly Mansour announced the poll in a televised address, a day after 49 people died in clashes between Islamist protesters and police and thousands rallied in Cairo in support of military chief General Abdel Fattah Al Sisi. Sisi was expected to declare his candidacy for the election, scheduled before mid-April, after a show of support including Saturday’s large rally in Cairo’s Tahrir Square. But the weekend clashes and bombings also highlighted the interim government’s precarious grip seven months after Mursi’s overthrow. The violence came as Egypt commemorated the 2011 uprising that overthrew veteran strongman Hosni Mubarak, leading to three years of tumult that many hope Sisi’s election will end. Over Friday and Saturday, six bombs exploded in Cairo and the canal city of Suez, killing six people and wounding dozens in an escalation of a militant campaign Mansour has pledged to eradicate. Separately, 49 people were killed in clashes when police clamped down on protests by Mursi’s supporters and anti-military activists, the health ministry said. As Mansour addressed the nation to announce the early presidential election, relatives of those killed on Saturday assembled outside a Cairo morgue, chanting anti-military slogans. “Down with the military! The people want to topple the regime!” they chanted outside the Zeinhom morgue as they collected the corpses of loved ones. A statement signed by nine Egyptian human rights groups accused the police of using “live ammunition” against demonstrators. Police said the protesters themselves had used weapons. Police in the capital bolstered defences outside their buildings and closed access roads after the weekend bombings that all targeted police facilities. In his address, Mansour, a judge the military appointed as interim president to replace Mursi, pledged to “uproot (terrorists) and show them no mercy”. The government says a series of polls that started with a constitutional referendum in January and will end in parliamentary elections will restore an elected government by 2015. A parliamentary election had been scheduled ahead of the presidential poll, but Mansour said on Sunday he had revised the timetable following many demands. A presidential election first may allow Sisi, if he stands, to influence the outcome of parliamentary elections by forming a party that would attract leading candidates. But Sisi, accused by Mursi supporters of carrying out a coup ending the Islamist’s single year in power, still faces a determined opposition and a semi-insurgency. Hours before Mansour spoke, militants ambushed a bus carrying soldiers in the restive Sinai Peninsula, killing four troops. And an Al Qaeda-inspired group in the peninsula claimed it had shot down a military helicopter on Saturday, in what the army said was an “accident” that killed five soldiers. The group, Ansar Beit Al Maqdis, had earlier claimed responsibility for the bombings in the capital. The attacks, starting with a car bomb that killed four people outside Cairo police headquarters on Friday morning, underscored the resilience of the Sinai-based militants who had tried to assassinate the police chief in September. Police sealed off several main squares in Cairo on Sunday and used metal barriers to block roads leading to police stations. In December, a car bombing outside a police building north of Cairo killed 15 people, prompting the interim government to blacklist Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood movement as a terrorist group. That bombing was also claimed by Ansar Beit Al Maqdis. The Brotherhood’s blacklisting, despite its condemnation of the attack, was seen as an extension of a crackdown on Mursi supporters that has killed more than a thousand people and jailed thousands more. Police said they arrested at least 1,000 protesters on Saturday alone. The government and the military now rule out dealing with the Brotherhood, which had won every election following Mubarak’s overthrow in the 2011 popular uprising. For more news from Khaleej Times, follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/khaleejtimes , and on Twitter at @khaleejtimes Continue reading

Posted on by tsiadmin | Posted in Dubai, Education, Entertainment, Investment, investments, News, Property, Sports, Taylor Scott International, TSI | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Egypt announces early election a day after carnage

Dubai Tram’s technical trial run takes off smoothly

Dubai Tram’s technical trial run takes off smoothly Lily B. Libo-on / 27 January 2014 Dubai Tram is expected to transport about 27,000 riders per day at the start of operations in the initial phase in 2014. The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) on Sunday began the technical trial run of the Dubai Tram, considered the world’s first tramway project powered by a ground-based electric supply system extending along the track. Dubai Tram is expected to transport about 27,000 riders per day at the start of operations in the initial phase in 2014. The ridership is estimated to hit 66,000 riders per day by 2020. The technical trial run of Dubai’s tram on Sunday. -KT photos by Rahul Gajjar Mattar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Board and Executive Director of the RTA, said Sunday’s test runs encompassed the 2.5km stretch from Al Sofouh to Zone 1. “We conducted the trial run to ensure the readiness of the train along with the functioning and performance of all control systems under all conditions. The technical trial run is a milestone in the construction of the Dubai tram project. It will continue without passengers till the official operation of the tram service in the final quarter of this year. The test track will be expanded in the near future to cover the entire tramway,” he said. He said the tests covered a wide range of issues such as the air-conditioning system, electrical feed and braking system, coupling of tram coaches, disconnecting power supply, rail surveillance and control system, and testing the train under normal as well as emergency conditions. “The tram moved smoothly without wobbling or noises as it is powered by ground electrical feed stretching along the track. The Dubai Tram is considered the first of its type outside Europe powered by ground feed with no catenary cables involved,” said Al Tayer. Road users will now see the Dubai tram on the move on road sides at Al Sofouh, Jumeirah Beach Residence and the Marina. The tram track will intersect with vehicular and pedestrian traffic at certain points which requires motorists in particular and road users in general to be more attentive and aware of the rules and regulations governing the tram operation. “All must follow the directional signage in place to ensure streamlined traffic movement,” said Al Tayer. During the test run, the tram moved at varying speeds and tests were conducted covering the safety systems, power propulsion of tram carriages, brake system, sudden braking during emergencies, ground electrical feed along the tram track, overhead power feed used in the depot, and the tram’s doors operation. The Dubai Tram, also known as Al Sofouh Tram, is the world’s first tramway that uses Platform Screen Doors in passenger stations fully synchronised with the tram’s doors opening and shutting mechanism, providing maximum convenience, safety and security for passengers, and at the same time protecting the quality of the air-conditioning in the interior of both stations and carriages from external climatic conditions. He said the Dubai tramway extends 14.6km alongside Al Sofouh Road, and the initial phase of the project envisages the construction of a 10.6km-long track starting from the Dubai Marina and stretching up to the Tram Depot near Dubai Police Academy. The tram network comprises 17 passenger stations, 11 of which are covered under Phase I and spread across activity and population density areas along the tramway. Fourteen trams will be added in Phase II to make a total of 25 operating trams. Each of the 11 trams measures 44 meters in length and has a capacity to accommodate about 300 riders. The tram has a First Class (Gold Suite) and one cabin designated for ladies and children as well as a Silver Class cabin. The tram’s carriages and stations will have deluxe interior finishing, and feature state-of-the-art technologies in the transmission and display of entertainment materials. The track extends at grade level along Al Sufouh Road but rises in an elevated section passing across certain parts of Dubai Marina due to the urban constructions in the locality. Al Tayer said that the tram links up with the metro system at two stations, namely Dubai Marina and Jumeirah Lakes Towers via footbridges to facilitate the mobility and exchange of passengers between the two transit modes. “It will also be linked with the Monorail of The Palm Jumeirah at the entrance of the Palm from Al Sofouh Road to facilitate passenger movement between districts served by both modes.” The Dubai Tram testing schedule started with Zone 1. It will continue to Zone 2 by April 16 then to Zone 3 by June 14 until November 10 this year. lily@khaleejtimes.com For more news from Khaleej Times, follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/khaleejtimes , and on Twitter at @khaleejtimes Continue reading

Posted on by tsiadmin | Posted in Dubai, Education, Entertainment, Investment, investments, News, Property, Sports, Taylor Scott International, TSI | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Dubai Tram’s technical trial run takes off smoothly

Indian expat community marks Republic Day in style

Indian expat community marks Republic Day in style Sajila Saseendran / 27 January 2014 Thousands of Indian students showcase the unity in diversity of their country on its 65th Republic Day. Indian Republic Day celebrations at Indian High School in Dubai on Sunday. – KT photos by Shihab Thousands of Indian students donned the roles of cultural ambassadors on Sunday morning, showcasing the unity in diversity of their country on its 65th Republic Day. The over two million-strong Indian community, which forms the largest expatriate group in the UAE, celebrated the day to commemorate the adoption of the Constitution of India as the governing document of the world’s largest democracy on 26 January, 1950. The official celebrations in Abu Dhabi took place at the premises of the Indian Embassy. The Indian Ambassador to the UAE, TP Seetharam, raised the national flag in the presence of over 800 Indians from all walks of life. A large group of Indian workers also attended the event during which the envoy read out excerpts from the Indian president Pranab Mukherjee’s address to the nation on the eve of the Republic Day. In Dubai, the official celebrations took place at the Indian High School (IHS) following a flag-hoisting ceremony at the Indian Consulate. Chairman of IHS, L.M. Pancholia, welcomed the gathering comprising children’s parents, senior members of the community and consular officials. Consul-General of India in Dubai, Anurag Bhushan, unfurled the tricolour and hoisted it once again at the event in the IHS. This was followed by recital of the National Anthem by the school choir. A march-past of 243 students followed, adding grandeur to the celebration. Speaking on the occasion, the Consul-General said: “This is a special day to remember the sacrifices of our founding fathers who participated in the freedom struggle, and the members of the armed forces who guard our borders.” He also read extracts from the President’s address, which highlighted the importance of the democratic set up of the country. “India’s true strength lies in her republic; in the courage of her commitment, the sagacity of her constitution, and the patriotism of her people. 1950 saw the birth of our Republic. I am sure that 2014 will be the year of resurgence,” it said. The president’s message also reminded Indians the need for introspection and action to re-discover the sense of national purpose and patriotism. Showcasing the young generation’s patriotic spirit, nearly 2,000 students from IHS Dubai’s junior and senior campuses and the International Indian High School in Silicon Oasis presented colourful and synchronised performances. The theme for this year’s celebrations revolved around a message: “Let there be progress, peace and prosperity…Mere Bharat, Yashaswi Bhava!” The two-hour long performances, which also saw boys dressed up as India’s freedom fighters, concluded with the children holding placards saying ‘Our People…Our Strength’ and “Bravo Dubai” for the Expo 2020 win. NM Aboobaker, whose son participated in a performance, said the performances by the students wearing the tricolour and ethnic attires of various Indian states were splendid. “When people in Delhi get to see the performances of adults, it is the children over here who perform to the tunes of patriotic songs and rekindle the nostalgic feelings and nationalistic emotions of the expatriates.” For Rosy George, one of the senior most teachers in the school, whose birthday falls on Republic Day, the celebrations in Dubai always made her feel at home. “I have been here for 33 years and these functions make me feel as if I am in India,” said the head of the English Department in the Senior Girls’ Section who was seen being wished by students on her 60th birthday. sajila@khaleejtimes.com For more news from Khaleej Times, follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/khaleejtimes , and on Twitter at @khaleejtimes Continue reading

Posted on by tsiadmin | Posted in Dubai, Education, Entertainment, Investment, investments, News, Property, Sports, Taylor Scott International, TSI, Uk | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Indian expat community marks Republic Day in style